Ir para o conteúdo
Mundo Revisado por ULTRA AI

Spain to allow 500 children in Ceuta to go to mainland in immigration U-turn

Madrid government changes stance after previously saying anyone who entered territory illegally would be sent back

3 min de leitura
Esta matéria parece estar em outro idioma Clique para traduzir automaticamente para português do Brasil.
Mundo — imagem padrão

Tents being set up in a public car park in Ceuta on Tuesday. Photograph: Violeta Santos Moura/ReutersView image in fullscreenTents being set up in a public car park in Ceuta on Tuesday.

Stephen Burgen in BarcelonaWed 19 Aug 2026 10. 33 EDTLast modified on Wed 19 Aug 2026 11. 28 EDTSharePrefer the Guardian on GoogleThe Spanish government has U-turned and said it will allow 500 migrant children in Ceuta to relocate to the mainland.

The majority of the estimated 70,000 people who crossed into Ceuta – a Spanish territory on the coast of north Africa – on 30 July have returned to Morocco. However, under Spanish law, the state has a duty of care to young, unaccompanied migrants until they reach the age of 18.

On 13 August, the interior minister, Fernando Grande-Marlaska, had said: “Anyone who illegally enters Ceuta or Melilla [another Spanish enclave in north Africa] knows they will be sent back because Spain and Morocco work together to this end.

They will not reach the peninsula, nor the European continent and nor will they remain indefinitely in Ceuta or Melilla.”The transfer of the children to the Spanish mainland is a sensitive political topic as several regions governed jointly by the conservative People’s party and the far-right Vox are reluctant or opposed to receiving their quota.

To minimise conflict, the youth ministry, in coordination with the Ceuta government, is devising an urgent plan under which NGOs and child protection agencies take charge of the most vulnerable children, girls in particular, without transferring their guardianship to Spain’s regional governments.

Rubén Pérez Correa, the secretary of state for children, has been in Ceuta since Sunday in an effort to resolve a situation in which hundreds of children are living on the street and existing on handouts from Ceuta residents.

News of the government’s plan came only hours after the European Commission said that under EU law all of the migrants should be returned to Morocco. Asked to clarify, the commission’s spokesperson on internal affairs, Markus Lammert, said that by law all irregular migrants remaining in Ceuta should be sent back, “including unaccompanied minors”.

Why is Ceuta a migration flashpoint and how were so many people able to cross from Morocco? Read moreThe People’s party has rejected the government plan, saying the best place for the children is with their families.

The mixed messages partly derive from the fact the latest European pact on immigration has not yet been incorporated into Spanish law and therefore Spain’s own legislation on the treatment of unaccompanied minors remains in force.

According to Spain’s ministry of inclusion and migration, as of last March 21,104 people aged 16-23 were guardians of the state, of whom about 3,500 were under 17.

Approximately 50% were from Morocco. Girls made up about 8% of the total. Explore more on these topicsSpain.

Fontes

Informação baseada em material público de The Guardian World, reescrito pela redação ULTRA NOTÍCIAS.

Fontes consultadas

  • The Guardian Worldlink

Leia também

Mais em Mundo
No, Italy’s Lake Como didn’t dry up
Mundo

No, Italy’s Lake Como didn’t dry up

For one, the footage and photos in this report were all generated by artificial intelligence. Secondly, while the water levels in the lake hav.

Em Mundo
Mundo — imagem padrão
Mundo

Trump diz que planeja se encontrar com Kim Jong-un

As declarações surgem no momento em que Trump ordenou a oficiais do Pentágono que reduzissem exercícios conjuntos com as forças armadas sul-coreanas, escrevendo em uma publicação nas redes sociais no domingo (16) que ele

Em Mundo