Education News | Al Jazeera Skip linksSkip to Contentplay Live Sign upShow navigation menuNavigation menuNewsShow more news sectionsAfrica.
list 1 of 3Seven killed, including two police officers, in UK ‘wrong-side’ car crash.
list 2 of 3How a Swedish Palestinian minister raised controversy with Star of David.
list 3 of 3One killed, three injured in sword attack at school in Sweden.
Local newspaper Fagersta-Posten reported that her parents confirmed the death.
The Brinell School’s principal told local media the 18-year-old suspect was a student there. He entered the building on Friday afternoon, just days after classes resumed from summer break, and was arrested at the scene of the attack.
Two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously wounded in the attack, one requiring emergency surgery. A third victim was treated for light injuries and has since gone home.
By Saturday morning, the scene outside Brinell had transformed into a memorial of candles, flowers and a steady stream of visitors, including Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson, who travelled to Fagersta to pay their respects.
Political parties across the country paused campaigning ahead of September’s election.
An unnamed police source told the Reuters news agency that investigators are looking into whether the suspect had ties to online communities that promote school violence.
Police are examining a TikTok account, taken down hours after the attack, that posted an image of a sword 20 minutes before it began and had previously featured videos referencing past school attacks in Sweden and Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.
Prosecutors have ordered the person held on suspicion of murder and multiple counts of attempted murder.
Police say they have carried out about 80 interviews so far, with plans to question nearly all of the school’s roughly 450 staff members and students.
The attack adds to a grim pattern. Sweden endured its deadliest school shooting last year, when a gunman killed 10 people in Orebro, and a 2015 sword attack in Trollhattan that killed three people in what authorities called a racially motivated hate crime.
Fontes
Informação baseada em material público de Al Jazeera, reescrito pela redação ULTRA NOTÍCIAS.