Hundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdown | Migration News | Al Jazeera Skip linksSkip to Contentplay Live Sign upShow navigation menuNavigation menuNewsShow more news sectionsAfrica.
Live Click here to searchsearchSign upNews|MigrationHundreds of migrants arrested near Ceuta border in latest crackdownNearly 300 migrants and 61 alleged facilitators detained during mass migration attempt.
Moroccan state broadcaster Medi 1 TV said 294 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa were arrested on Saturday while attempting to enter Ceuta. Authorities also arrested 61 Moroccans accused of facilitating the migration attempts, the broadcaster reported.
Marrocos reforça segurança em Ceuta diante de apelos para travessia maciça de migrantes.
list 2 of 4Moroccan police arrest over 100 migrants trying to reach Spanish enclave.
list 3 of 4Moroccan police intercept migrants heading for Ceuta enclave.
list 4 of 4Moroccan migrants stage sit-in as thousands remain stranded in Ceuta.
The latest attempt comes two weeks after more than 72,000 would-be migrants, driven by poverty and misinformation, rushed towards Ceuta in one of the deadliest migration crises to hit the region.
At least 90 people died on both sides of the border, according to official numbers, while human rights groups reported higher figures.
As tentativas de travessia seguiram um aumento nos posts nas redes sociais convocando as pessoas a se dirigirem a Ceuta, uma cidade espanhola na costa norte de Marrocos.
In response, Moroccan and Spanish authorities beefed up security presence in the area.
?We don’t want to go back to Morocco’.
On Sunday, hundreds of migrants staged a protest on a popular urban beach, urging Spanish authorities to grant them asylum instead of sending them back to Morocco.
They were among the estimated 5,000 to 8,000 who remained in Ceuta after the mass border crossing two weeks ago.
With the city’s resources overstretched, most migrants were living in precarious conditions on Trampolin beach or the city’s outskirts while awaiting a chance to journey on to continental Europe.
Os manifestantes seguravam bandeiras espanholas e faixas com as mensagens “Não queremos voltar para o Marrocos” e “Também somos humanos”, enquanto entoavam slogans como “Estamos cansados” ou “Precisamos de uma solução”.
Earlier this week, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said migrants who had entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the exclave, travel to mainland Spain or obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability.
A senior Moroccan diplomat previously told The Associated Press news agency that more than 20,000 Moroccan security personnel are deployed along the border with Ceuta each day, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.
Thousands of migrants from across Africa and beyond travel to Morocco each year, fleeing conflict, poverty and instability, and seeking a route into Europe.
Many attempt to reach Ceuta or Melilla, another Spanish exclave on Morocco’s northern coast, hoping eventually to make their way to mainland Spain for better economic opportunities.
Fontes
Informação baseada em material público de Al Jazeera, reescrito pela redação ULTRA NOTÍCIAS.